Whew! What a great month. And now – onto March. Which is historically our craziest month – and proves to be the same again this year! We’ve got FOUR AST Events:
- Mar 14, noon, online – #SpeakUpforScience
- Mar 19, SOLD OUT – The Science of Ice Cream
- Mar 21, 7pm, Zoo Atlanta – Jazz Cands a Science Stand-Up Comedy Event
- Mar 25 – check out our booth at the Atlanta Science Festival in Piedmont Park.
Wanna get in for free? Want a cool Sci4Ga t-shirt? Please volunteer for any of these events. Volunteer by Friday so we can get you a free t-shirt!
The Georgia General Assembly is in full swing. We’ve been down at the Capitol speaking to legislators about science. 3 interns participated in Georgia Water Coalition’s Capitol Conservation Day.
A few spots of good news
- Food Insecurity Bill – SB 177
- Okefenokee Protection Act – HB 71
- Anti-Sludge Dumping – HB 477
- Teacher Training – HB 537
- Literacy Committee – SB 211
- Environmental Justice Legislation – which we hope to support even more at our 2023 Environmental Justice & Climate Protection conference in June.
Check out our Science Rubric on all the bills our fantastic interns have been following.
Speaking of protecting the Okefenokee – along with Environment Georgia we hosted a great watch party for one of the Env Protection Division’s hearings on the proposed mine.
Over 25 people came out to support the Okefenokee, and EPD received over 3.5 hours of comments. All opposed to the mine (except 1 employee of the mining company).
You can do your part by encouraging a hearing on HB 71 and writing the EPD about the proposed mine.
We had a fabulous Science Tavern about Unleashing the Power of Exoskeletons.
Thank you to all that you do to make Science Matter Here and don’t forget that we couldn’t do it without your support and generosity.